The Port Hope Depot was constructed in 1904 after the railroad, named the Harbor Beach and Port Hope Railroad, was extended to Port Hope and became part of the Pere Marquette system.
The Port Hope Depot is a classic example of stations designed by the railroad company that were economical to build: frame construction with board and batten exterior. Inside was a passenger waiting room, a station master's office, a second service or luggage room and a slightly elevated freight room.
The depot served passengers and freight until the 1930s when passenger service was no longer needed.The Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad bought the line and shipped freight until all service was discontinued.The building was purchased by a local citizen; the land was still owned by the C and O until it was purchased by a local business. The building has been used briefly by a silk screening business, as a museum and as a general storage building. It was resold in the 1970s to a new owner whose vision was to restore it for community use.